- Anodyne 2 co-developer Melos Han-Tani talks about the game’s whimsical story and gameplay.
- Learn about what you’ll be able to do in its world, as well as why the game has a unique mix of 3D and 2D gameplay.
- Anoydyne 2 is available now for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One on the Xbox Store.
Hi everyone, Melos Han-Tani from Analgesic Productions here with some exciting news for the Anodyne 2: Return to Dust Xbox community — Anodyne 2 launches today for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One on the Xbox Store!
Anodyne 2 is a deeply personal 2D and 3D adventure filled with whimsical mystery, and there’s no need to have played the first Anodyne to enjoy the sequel. You play as Nova, a Nano Cleaner working for The Center, the mysterious ruler of New Theland. Nova must clear out the Nano Dust plaguing citizens’ minds by shrinking down and transitioning from the low-poly, 3D overworld and entering 2D top-down “dungeons” hidden within each being. Investigate the mysteries surrounding the world. Maintain the status quo of collecting Nano Dust or search for a new way to live; it’s up to you!
Created solely by Marina Kittaka and I, Anodyne 2 features layered characters, a love for subverting genre conventions, meta-narratives that offer peeks behind the curtain, and more! You’ll journey across expansive surreal landscapes hiding wonderful secrets, embrace dream logic to transform into a car, and then explore the edges of New Theland to learn that The Center’s ideals aren’t necessarily held by everyone. Wield Nova’s Nano Vacuum to solve puzzles and fight bosses while suctioning up the dust. Each being you clean will lead closer to the truth behind the Center.
Marina spent about a year and a half on Anodyne 2: Return to Dust. We learned a lot from making the first Anodyne, and wanted to see what elements of it would fit into a 3D context! The low-poly design inspired by ‘90s consoles leaves many visual details to the imagination, giving players a dreamy atmosphere. Our 2D experience from Anodyne is not lost in the sequel and can be found in each “dungeon” mind. Dig into each mind and find out what happens to Nova when Anodyne 2: Return to Dust launches today on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One! Also, for a limited time, take advantage of a 20% discount at launch for Anodyne 2: Return to Dust on the Xbox Store.
Ratalaika Games S.L.
Nano Dust infects the islanders of New Theland, distorting their emotions and desires. You play as Nova, a Nano Cleaner tasked with seeking out the sick and shrinking inside their bodies to suction up the Dust.
Traverse cities, valleys, and wastelands then shrink into the varied mindscapes of characters, from snowy, aurora-lit valleys to perilous volcanic construction sites with art that re-imagines the 16-bit and 32-bit console eras.
* Explore wondrous 3D and 2D landscapes, and transform into a car to cross the distance
* Experience the emotional tale of Nova the Nano Cleaner
* Delve into pixelated and lo-fi landscapes painted by Marina Kittaka
* Immerse yourself in 50+ songs from countless genres by Melos Han-Tani
* Created by Analgesic Productions (Melos & Marina), the duo behind Anodyne 1, All Our Asias, and Even the Ocean!